Blow torch to thaw pipes catches mobile home on fire

First Posted: 1/10/2015

BATH TOWNSHIP — A mobile home caught fire in Bath Township after a flame torch was used to thaw frozen water under the home.

At 12:30 p.m. Saturday, at 2145 N. Dixie Highway Lot 71 in Bath Township, units responded to the unit on fire.

According to Bath Township Fire Chief Joseph Kitchen, there was heavy smoke rolling from underneath the trailer. The trailer, owned by the Plaza Mobile Home Park, was operated as a rental unit and was rented by Tim Wireman.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, fueled by insulation burning under the mobile home.

The cause of the fire was determined to be the use of a propane torch to thaw frozen water pipes under the trailer, Kitchen said.

The home sustained $2,000 worth of damage. There were no reported injuries. Crews remained on the scene for about an hour.