Carbon monoxide blamed for woman’s death

First Posted: 1/15/2015

LIMA — A woman was found dead inside her home after a few days of not being seen.

Lima Police Department’s Sgt. Andy Green said Shirley Breland, 53, of Lima, appears to have died of carbon monoxide poisoning in her home. A faulty furnace seems to be the cause for her death, Green said.

At about 8 a.m. Thursday, officers were called to 406 Ashwood Ave. after Breland’s family discovered her dead. Her family had grown concerned after not hearing from her after a few days.

Breland lived alone, Green said.

The Lima Fire Department also responded to the call and detected high levels of carbon monoxide inside the home.

Though investigators are looking into the details of her death, it appears to be accidental. Her body was sent to Lucas County and is awaiting an autopsy.

Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless. It kills by interfering with oxygen movement in a person’s bloodstream. Early signs are flu-like symptoms — having a headache, feeling sick to your stomach, and feeling tired or confused. Get out of the house if feeling ill, and have the air quality checked.