911 transcript describes arson, murder attempt

By Wayne Baker - Dayton Daily News (TNS)

CENTERVILLE — A woman called 911 while talking to her distraught Centerville husband on another phone, a move that led to charges that the man attempted to kill their two children in a fire he set Sunday.

“He sounds that he’s going to go out guns blazing,” the man’s wife told the dispatcher.

No one was injured.

Ray Eades, 30, has been charged with two counts each of attempted murder, a first-degree felony; aggravated arson, a first-degree felony, and endangering children, a first-degree misdemeanor, according to court records.

Officer John Davis said police went to a residence on Bradstreet Road about 10:11 p.m. Sunday to check on the welfare of two children after receiving an intense 911 call.

The 911 caller — who identifies herself as Eades’ wife, and a member of the military — tells the dispatcher she’s worried about her husband’s well-being and requests that police conduct a wellness check at their home on Bradstreet Road.

“He’s not taking a certain piece of news all that well. I want a divorce and told him earlier in the day. I’m on the phone with him right now. He’s made some threats and he talked about killing himself and the children. We have a .45 (gun) in the house,” she tells the dispatcher.

The dispatcher asks her, “Is that him screaming in the background?” She replies, “yes.”

“He said he is willing to die and will kill the kids and the dogs,” Eades’ wife tells the dispatcher.

The dispatcher asks if Eades has a history of violence.

“He has never hurt me or the kids. The children are probably in bed. He contacted me 25 minutes ago — it was 5 or 10 minutes ago when he made that threat,” she said.

She tells the dispatcher that he is with the children.

At one point, the caller addressed her husband: “Ray, you are not acting sensible … what are you doing?”

“This can’t be how this ends, Ray. He sounds that he’s going to go out guns blazing,” she tells the dispatcher.

Eades eventually answered the door but refused to cooperate with officers from inside the locked residence, Davis said. A short time later, he was taken into custody, and the children, ages 6 and 8, were taken to a local hospital to be checked out.

Eades was arrested Thursday at Miami Valley Hospital and taken to the Montgomery County Jail.

His bond is set at $600,000, and if he posts it, he will have to wear an electronic home detention device. The children are back in the custody of their mother.

“The investigation revealed that (Eades) used prior calculation prior to setting the fire,” Centerville police said in court records.

In addition, court records showed Eades also made threats to kill himself and the children, drugging the children, disabling the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and barricading the house.

Davis said, “There was no structure fire. Eades ignited an article inside the home that was removed and extinguished by the Washington Township Fire Department.”


By Wayne Baker

Dayton Daily News (TNS)

Post navigation