NEW YORK — Arnold Schwarzenegger says he’s through with “The New Celebrity Apprentice,” and he’s blaming President Donald Trump for the show’s recent poor performance.
The former California governor said Friday he wouldn’t mind working with NBC and producer Mark Burnett again “on a show that doesn’t have this baggage.”
The show, which Trump once hosted and has remained as an executive producer, finished with the poorest ratings of any of its celebrity incarnations. The most recent season ended last month and averaged fewer than 5 million viewers an episode.
Schwarzenegger said in an interview with the Empire web site that Trump’s involvement left a “bad taste” that drove away sponsors and viewers.
Rod Stewart sorry for video misinterpreted as beheading
Rod Stewart is apologizing for a video shared by his wife that shows the singer in what appears to be a re-enactment of a beheading.
The video posted on Instagram by Penny Lancaster shows several people clad in black walking in a desert. Stewart is wearing a white shirt and standing behind a man who gets on his knees before Stewart makes a motion with his right hand in front of the man’s neck. The video has been deleted but was captured by media outlets and republished.
Stewart was in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates for a concert Thursday.
Stewart says in a statement the group was “simply larking about pre show.” He says the video was “understandably” misinterpreted and he sends his “deepest apologies to those who have been offended.”
Film academy president reassures members
LOS ANGELES — The president of the film academy has sent an email to its members telling them they have much to be proud of after this year’s Oscars ceremony, and reassuring them changes will be made to avoid a repeat of problems like the botched best-picture announcement that closed the show.
An Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences spokesman confirmed the contents of the email for The Associated Press on Thursday night.
In it, academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs calls Sunday’s show “one of the best — and certainly most dramatic and talked about — Oscar ceremonies of all time” giving a subtle nod to the mistaken naming of “La La Land” as best picture before the correct winner “Moonlight” was eventually revealed.
Isaacs goes on to give a set of bullet-pointed items she says the academy — a group of about 6,000 people from the film industry who vote for the Oscars — should be proud of.
Superman, Batman debuts go to auction
HARTFORD, Conn. — By day, Jon Berk is a mild-mannered civil attorney in Connecticut.
But by night (well, really during most of his spare time for the past 45 years) he is known by some as a comic book-collecting super hero.
Berk’s collection of more than 18,000 books and 300 pieces of comic-book art goes on display March 11 at the Metropolis Gallery in New York City. He will then sell it off during an online auction at ComicConnect.com that begins May 15.
“The time is just right to move them along and let someone else experience them,” said Berk, 66.
The collection includes rare copies of the 1938 Action Comics No. 1, in which Superman makes his first appearance; the 1939 book Detective Comics No. 27, which features the first appearance of Batman; rare Spider-Man and Captain America books and several pieces of art by noted comic-book artist Lou Fine.
Vincent Zurzolo, the chief operating officer of ComicConnect and Metropolis Collectibles, said Berk’s collection is one of the most important in the world because of its breadth and the number of rare books dating back to the mid-1930s.