Spring sports in jeopardy after DeWine announcement


Staff Reports



COLUMBUS — With the announcement by Governor Mike DeWine that schools were continued to be closed Monday, the spring sports season is expected to be cancelled.

In his press conference DeWine, who was the first governor in the nation to shutter schools statewide, said his latest decision stems from concern for the continued safety of students, teachers and communities. He said returning students to their classrooms could lead to new cases of COVID-19.

On twitter,The Ohio High School Athletic Association posted, “Based on today’s announcement by @GovMikeDeWine that school facilities will remain closed for the rest of the school year, #OHSAA expects to send memo to school administrators Tuesday. No statement or release today. Last Friday’s memo is posted at: https://ohsaa.org/news-media/articles/ohsaa-member-school-updates

According to Jerry Snodgrass, the OHSAA executive director, said in the memo Friday, “With yesterday’s (Thursday) news conferences, plans appear to be moving forward to ‘open up’ the nation and Ohio in “Phases”. It was stated that ‘schools that are currently closed should remain closed’. When this is confirmed by Governor DeWine and/or State Supt. of Schools DeMaria, we will be confirming the cancellations of spring sports as we have previously indicated.”

The Western Buckeye League account, tweeted, “All Spring sports have now been cancelled for the 2020 season. There are no words to describe what’s going on and I feel terrible for all Seniors who are missing out on a final season.

Staff Reports

Post navigation