President Trump and his ardent defenders would have us believe that he is the innocent victim of a sinister deep state plot, perpetrated by partisan agents who have dedicated their lives to a quest to destroy him.
Who are these villainous partisan agents? So far, here is a list that of those who have been singled out by the president and his defenders:
• Attorney General Jeff Sessions, appointed by Trump and a Republican.
• Deputy Attorney General Rob Rosenstein, appointed by Trump and a Republican.
• Special Council Robert Mueller, appointed by Rosenstein and a Republican.
• U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman, appointed by Trump and a Republican.
• Current FBI Director Chris Wray, appointed by Trump and a Republican.
• Former FBI Director, James Comey, a Republican.
• Former Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe, a Republican.
Really, it is not who any of these people are that matters, it’s what they represent. Despite the president’s corrosive rhetoric, they are not his personal enemies. They are not partisan agents cloaked in some mythological brotherhood called the Deep State. They all have served, or do serve, under the Department of Justice.
The real enemy that President Trump is waging war against is the very foundation of our government: The rule of law. President Trump wants these men to pledge their personal loyalty to him. That is not their job. Every man on that list has sworn an oath to defend the Constitution and uphold the laws of the United States. That is their job and he should let them do it.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU