Oily rags cause garage fire in American Township


American Township Firefighters were called to a garage fire Tuesday evening on Lakewood Avenue.

American Township Firefighters were called to a garage fire Tuesday evening on Lakewood Avenue.


LIMA — What began as small combustion in a trash can led to a garage fire at a residence in American Township.

The American Township Fire Department responded to 2819 Lakewood Ave. at 12:23 a.m. Wednesday. American Township Fire Chief Tom Hadding said the fire was called in by a passerby around 12:18 a.m.

Firefighters were present at the residence for around one and a half hours. No residents were home at the time of the fire. According to the Allen County Auditor’s website, the property is owned by Austin Patterson.

Firefighters determined oily rags from home remodeling were the cause of this incident. Chief Hadding believes there is about $8,000 to $10,000 worth of damage.

“Wood and siding on the garage will need to be replaced to finish with the residential remodel,” Hadding said.

American Township Firefighters were called to a garage fire Tuesday evening on Lakewood Avenue.
https://www.limaohio.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/54/2022/06/web1_Fire1.jpgAmerican Township Firefighters were called to a garage fire Tuesday evening on Lakewood Avenue.

Post navigation