Smith’s money machine
• Lima mayoral candidate Sharetta Smith has raised $46,490, according to pre-primary election filings disclosing activity through April 14. That’s four times the combined amount of money raised by opponents Elizabeth Hardesty ($5,505), Joshua Hayes ($3,272) and Autumn Swanson ($2,475).
• People in Alabama, Georgia, Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, Tennessee and Washington, D.C., as well as 14 Ohio communities outside of Lima have donated more than $23,000 to Smith’s campaign.
• That $23,000 is more than double the total amount of money raised by all three of her opponents.
Union cash and more
• Labor unions donated $7,400 to Smith, and $5,500 has come from political action committees.
• The top three contributors to Smith’s campaign are Lima Building and Trades Union ($5,000); Lima native Muhammed Akil, of Jersey City, N.J. ($3,500), and The Collective PAC, of Washington, D.C. ($3,ooo).
• Top donors for other candidates include Glenn Hankins, of Lima, for Swanson ($1,000); Tony Daley, of Lima, for Hardesty ($500); and Nathan Gast, city not listed, for Hayes ($485).
• Hardesty loaned her campaign $3,000, and Hayes donated $1,300 to his campaign.
• Forty-nine people have made $100-plus donations to Smith’s campaign. That compares to nine for Hardesty, three for Swanson, and one for Hayes.
• Rick Siferd, the attorney who filed the residency lawsuit against Hardesty, donated $500. Bart Mills, who filed the complaint about Hardesty with the board of elections, donated $100.
• Lima Mayor David Berger donated $1,672 to Smith.
• Lima philanthropist Martha MacDonell is listed as giving Smith a $2,500 donation on Nov. 12, 2020. She died July 17, 2020.
ELIZABETH HARDESTY Total contributions: $5,505 Loans received: $3,000 Total expenditures: $592
JOSHUA HAYES Total contributions: $3,272 Loans received: None Total expenditures: $3,272
SHARETTA SMITH Total contributions: $46,490 Loans received: None Total expenditures: $16,840
AUTUMN SWANSON Total contributions: $2,475 Loans received: $6,500 Total expenditures: $10,240
Lima mayoral candidate Sharetta Smith raised four times the combined amount of contributions of candidates Elizabeth Hardesty, Joshua Hayes and Autumn Swanson in the most recent campaign finance filings.