WAPAKONETA — A dedication ceremony for a historic marker at the Auglaize County Courthouse will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 17 on the east side of the courthouse, 201 Willipie St., Wapakoneta.
Those attending the outdoor event are asked to observe social distancing and to wear face coverings.
The 1894 courthouse has been in the National Register of Historic Places for more than 40 years. The Auglaize County Historical Society received funding from the William G. Pomeroy Foundation to create a permanent plaque honoring its inclusion.
The Board of County Commissioners of Auglaize County and the Auglaize County Historical Society announce that a brief ceremony will be held on Thursday, December 17, 2 pm on the east side of the Auglaize County Courthouse to dedicate the building’s new marker. Those attending the outdoor event are requested to observe distancing and to wear face coverings.
The Auglaize County Historical Society successfully applied for funding from the William G. Pomeroy Foundation to provide a permanent plaque honoring the Auglaize County Courthouse’s inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places.
Although the 1894 courthouse has been included in the National Register for more than 40 years, no sign has ever indicated this status. The new marker was produced by Sewah Studies, Marietta, Ohio, the company that also casts the Ohio Historical Markers.
About the Pomeroy Foundation
The William G. Pomeroy Foundation is a private institution based in Syracuse, New York. is committed to supporting the celebration and preservation of community history The Pomeroy Foundation provides grants to obtain signage in the form of roadside markers and plaques. Since 2006, the organization has funded more than 1,200 signs across the United States, all the way to Alaska. We have grown to offer eight different marker programs.
About the Auglaize County Historical Society
Founded in 1963, the Auglaize County Historical Society collects, preserves, interprets, and shares the history of Auglaize County, enriching lives by connecting people and communities to the past and to each other.
For more information about this project or the historical society, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 419/738-9328.
Fast Facts about the Auglaize County Courthouse
The current building was constructed in 1894.
It cost $259,481.21, or $7,853,228.99 in 2020 dollars.
This is the third site to serve as the Auglaize County Courthouse.
Initially, the county rented a house. When court was in session, it would rent the Methodist Church.
The first building constructed as the Auglaize County Courthouse was built in 1851 on Blackhoof Street at Mechanic (one block west of the current site).
The Blackhoof Street Courthouse served until the current building was constructed, after which it was torn down.
This building was designed by the architectural firm of Kremer and Hart of Columbus.
It is made of Berea sandstone.
The administrative offices for the county are now housed in a building one block away, constructed on the site of the original jail. The courthouse is now a court-focused building, housing municipal, probate, and common pleas court, as well as the offices that assist the court.
The most recent renovation occurred in 2012. It cost $8.6 million, and included complete updates to HVAC and the electrical system, the addition of a modern security system, and the restoration of many interior architectural details.
The Auglaize County Commissioners hosted a grand celebration of the courthouse’s 125th birthday in 2019, which included a visit by Governor Mike DeWine, Mrs. DeWine, and members of their family.