LIMA — A man who has served 17 years of a 20-year prison sentence for taking nude images of young girls and for various sexual assaults — only to be found in his prison cell in possession of a smuggled cell phone with what prosecutors said were “thousands of images of young girls being forced to do sexual things with adult males” — is headed back to prison for 21 more years.
Michael Porter, 49, admitted during his sentencing hearing Wednesday in Allen County Common Pleas Court that he suffers from pedophilia and that he failed to get treatment for his addiction while in the Ohio prison system.
“I recognize and admit my illness, and I want treatment,” Porter said, noting that he had been sexually abused as a child.
He told the judge, “My porn addiction began when I was in kindergarten.”
In handing down the lengthy prison sentence, Judge Terri Kohlrieser said she could not “take a risk … a known risk” and sentence Porter to community control sanctions.
“With the defendant’s history of criminal conduct, a prison sentence is necessary to protect the public,” the judge said.
Porter was indicted by a grand jury on 10 counts each of pandering sexually-oriented material involving a minor, and the illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material or performance, felonies of the second- and fourth-degree, respectfully. He entered pleas of no contest to those charges in October.
Wapakoneta Attorney Thomas Lucente had sought to have the charges against Porter dismissed. He noted that because the cell phone in question was smuggled into the prison, “possibly by an employee and given to an inmate,” the phone was used by many inmates and was passed around on a regular basis, and the actual ownership of the phone was not certain.
Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Kenneth Sturgill, however, said testimony at trial would have shown that time stamps on the downloaded child pornography would have placed the phone in Porter’s hands.
Porter said he intends to appeal his case.