Suspect in underage sex case ruled competent


By J Swygart - jswygart@limanews.com



Indiana resident Douglas Obendorf has been found compent to stand trial for allegedly having sexual contact with a 15-year-old male earlier this year in Allen County.

Indiana resident Douglas Obendorf has been found compent to stand trial for allegedly having sexual contact with a 15-year-old male earlier this year in Allen County.


J Swygart | The Lima News

LIMA — An Indiana man charged with engaging in sex acts with an underage boy has been found competent to stand trial.

A report issued by the Forensic Psychiatry Center of Western Ohio in Dayton concluded that Douglas Obendorf, 34, of Auburn, Indiana, suffers from some level of mental illness but is not intellectually disabled and is competent to assist in his own defense.

Obendorf is charged with a third-degree felony count of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor as well as attempted unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, a felony of the fourth degree, for his alleged actions involving a 15-year-old male.

According to court documents, on Aug. 13 deputies were dispatched to the 4600 block of North Napoleon Road in Allen County and spoke to the mother of the alleged juvenile male victim. She said that when she walked into her bathroom she observed the juvenile and Obendorf with their shorts and underwear pulled down to their knees.

The investigating officer spoke with the alleged victim, who admitted performing oral sex on Obendorf. When another officer arrived he reportedly found Obendoft in the back yard of the residence “staring aimlessly with his penis in his hand,” according to court documents. Obendorf, who “appeared to be intoxicated,” according to the report, was taken into custody at that time.

During an interview later that day Obendorf told investigators he was preparing to take a shower when the juvenile came into the room, grabbed his penis and placed it in his mouth. Obendorf told the officer he pulled away from the victim.

The alleged victim told officers it was Obendorf who initiated the sexual contact and that he also attempted to perform anal sex with the teenager.

Indiana resident Douglas Obendorf has been found compent to stand trial for allegedly having sexual contact with a 15-year-old male earlier this year in Allen County.
https://www.limaohio.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/54/2020/11/web1_Doug-Obendorf-..-sex-charges.jpgIndiana resident Douglas Obendorf has been found compent to stand trial for allegedly having sexual contact with a 15-year-old male earlier this year in Allen County. J Swygart | The Lima News

By J Swygart

jswygart@limanews.com

Post navigation