The idea sounds almost un-American.
The Fourth of July was always a time for communities to come together, daylong celebrations with patriotic parades in the morning and fireworks finales to cap it off.
But in the Year of the Corona Virus — people in many cities are being urged to stay home.
Lima is one of them. The annual Star Spangled Spectacular has been called off. But while America’s 244th birthday won’t be the usual blowout bash, a few locations in the region are moving forward with a fireworks display. They include:
• Delphos: Kiwanis Club of Delphos Fourth of July 10 p.m. at Stadium Park
• Indian Lake: 10 p.m. along south bank of Indian Lake
• Sidney: 9 p.m. at Sidney City Schools
• Van Wert: 10 p.m. at Van Wert High School
• Wapakoneta: St. Joe Festival 10 p.m. at Auglaize County Fairgrounds
Along with the fireworks, the following events will be held this weekend:
• Kiwanis Club of Delphos Fourth of July — Events today include live music from SaMax and Probable Cause beginning 7 p.m., chicken barbecue dinners, a food tent and basket bingo. Fireworks will be held at 10 p.m. Saturday at Stadium Park.
• “God Bless the USA” free concert, Ottawa — Live music at 8 p.m. today at the Rex Center, 100 E. Main St., Ottawa. Bring a lawn chair.
• Fountain Park, Van Wert — Free live music Saturday by American Ride: A Toby Keith Tribute at 7 p.m. Food trucks on Jefferson Street at 5:30 p.m. Bring your own lawn chair. Social distancing will be observed, hand sanitizer will be available and face masks are optional.
• St. Joseph Festival, Wapakoneta — Fireworks show 10 p.m. Saturday at Auglaize County Fairgrounds. Limited parking available beginning 9 p.m. in east lot. Spectators required to stay in vehicles. Event includes mini food festival drive-thru featuring sugar waffles, lemon shakeups, corn dogs, french fries and others.