LIMA — JCPenney will continue to operate its store at the Lima Mall, avoiding the permanent closing of 154 stores nationwide, including nine in Ohio.
The list of store closings was revealed Thursday in a bankruptcy court filing. The company is expected to close 88 more stores at some point in the future, leaving about 600 open.
Among the closures in Ohio were the JCPenney stores in Defiance and Piqua.
Other Ohio stores closing are:
• The Chapel Hill Mall in Akron
• Tri County Plaza in Akron
• Carnation Mall in Alliance
• Ashtabula Mall in Ashtabula
• Governors Plaza in Cincinnati
• Summit Square Shopping Center in East Liverpool
• The Shoppes At Parma
The nine store closures in Ohio and California were the most in any state. There were eight closings in Indiana and Florida; seven in Georgia, New York and Texas; and six in Kentucky, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Tennessee.