Perry Township man arrested after standoff; jailed for discharging weapon



LIMA — The Allen County Sheriff’s Office has released additional information surrounding a standoff situation Thursday afternoon and evening in Perry Township.

Deputies were called to Fourth Street, between Greeley Chapel Road and Bowman Road, at around 1 p.m. Thursday after receiving a complaint of a male subject at 22278 E. Fourth St. who had a rifle and was threatening people.

Lt. Andre McConnahea of the Allen County Sheriff’s Office said tree maintenance personnel working on the property observed Justin Samons, 41, exit his residence with a gun in his hand. He was observed approaching a neighboring residence, beating on the door while yelling and making threatening statements. When nobody answered the door, Samons returned to his residence and fired at least two rounds.

McConnahea said the tree maintenance workers were ordered to leave the area by their boss and while they were gathering their tools to leave, Samons fired several more rounds, possibly up to 10. Nobody was injured at that time and it is still undetermined exactly what direction the rounds were fired in.

Deputies arrived on scene and attempted to make contact with Samons inside his residence but were unsuccessful. The SWAT Team was activated and responded to the scene at approximately 3 p.m., along with crisis negotiators. The SWAT team and negotiators spent just over two hours making announcements, requesting Samons exit the home peacefully. Negotiators repeatedly attempted to call Samons and speak to him, and also sent him a series of text messages asking for a peaceful resolution.

Throughout the course of the standoff, Samons exited his residence a number of times, making gestures toward SWAT personnel. At one point he exited his residence with a rifle in hand and pointed it directly at the SWAT vehicle, which was occupied by several SWAT members. At approximately 5 p.m. the SWAT team was given authorization to enter the residence by force and arrest Samons. Officers were finally able to enter and carryout out a methodical search for Smons, which eventually led to him being found in his attic at approximately 7 p.m. He finally surrendered and was booked into the Allen County Jail for on charges of inducing panic and possession of drug paraphernalia.


Post navigation