OTTAWA — A Fostoria man has been found to be incompetent to stand trial on rape allegations, and his charges have been dropped in Putnam and Wood counties.
Cody Wells, 20, had been accused of raping three children under the age of 10 — two in Wood County and one in Putnam County.
He was indicted on June 19, 2019, on rape charges in Putnam County of a girl under age 10. A deadline was set for Jan. 21 for objections to be made regarding the exam.
Wells previously appeared before Keith Schierloh, Putnam County Common Pleas Judge, in December for arraignment when Wells’ council requested a competency exam be conducted by Northwest Ohio Developmental Center.
Wells was previously found incompetent to stand trial by Wood County Common Pleas Court on Aug. 26 on allegations of two counts of rape of a 6-year-old boy.
Gary Lammers, Putnam County prosecutor, confirmed Wells’s charges were dropped in Putnam County.
“He was found to be incompetent and due to that determination there is nothing we can do to move forward with,” Lammers said. He confirmed Wells was found to be incompetent and the case has been dismissed without prejudice.
Should Wells ever be restored the case could potentially be brought back to court, Lammers said.
Wells, who was previously booked into the Wood County Jail in Bowling Green on May 29 on a $10,000 bond was ordered to be confined to the Northwest Ohio Developmental Center, Toledo, where he currently resides.
He was released on Jan. 22, 2020, from the jail and went to the center, according to Wood County Jail officials.