LIMA — The cause of a fire at the Argonne Residence Inn at 201 N. Elizabeth St. in Lima is under investigation.
Lima fire crews were called to the historic building at 12:14 p.m. Sunday on the report of a fire in apartment 606.
Lima police arrived before the fire department and helped evacuate residents from the sixth through 10th floors.
“The LPD guys did a great job … it helped us out tremendously,” said Battalion Chief Jack McDermitt of the Lima Fire Department.
The fire department made short work of extinguishing the fire.
“Engine 1 and Rescue 1 proceeded to the sixth floor with Engine 3 (who) went to the floor below with a high rise pack. Engine 1 actually made entry into the fire room with a couple of water cans and was able to extinguish the fire with those,” said McDermitt.
The American Red Cross helped assist residents on the scene.
“(The) Red Cross came out with blankets and water for everybody that was evacuated, and we let them back into the lobby, which happened fairly quickly. They were probably outside about 10 minutes,” said McDermitt.
All of the residents, with the exception of the tenant in apartment 606, were allowed to return to their apartments.
The American Red Cross is assisting the tenant which was displaced by the fire.
It’s believed the fire started in an area of the apartment where there was a desk, television and stereo equipment.
The building is valued at $319,500. The damage was listed at $15,000 to the property and another $2,500 to the contents.
One of the residents was given oxygen after suffering some difficulty breathing but was not transported to the hospital.
A building manager fell outside and was taken to Mercy Health-St. Rita’s Medical Center for treatment.
The Lima Fire Department also received help from the American Township Fire Department.
Reach Sam Shriver at 567-242-0409.