Small Van Wert home heavily damaged in fire

VAN WERT — A small Van Wert home sustained significant damage in a Wednesday morning fire.

The Van Wert police and fire departments were dispatched to the 700 block of Liberty Street at 7:38 a.m. Wednesday to a fire caused by combustibles located next to a water heater.

All residents were outside of the home when departments arrived, so there were no injuries reported. A pet cat was rescued by the fire department and treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

Craig King, captain of the Van Wert Fire Department, said the house was around 600 square feet, so a dollar estimate on damages was not made, but it sustained “heavy damage,” mostly from the smoke.

Post navigation