LIMA — The Allen County Museum will offer an orientation session for prospective docents from 9 a.m. to noon Monday, Sept. 9, at the museum, 620 W. Market St., Lima. Docent enrichment sessions are 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday through Friday.
After completing the requirements of being a provisional docent (such as observing docent-led tours), volunteers may conduct school and adult tours, assist visitors during regular museum hours and help with crafts and tours in the Children’s Discovery Center. Docents are asked to volunteer at least 60 hours per year.
Docent Enrichment sessions will be held September 10 – 13 between 9:00 a.m. and noon. The weekly schedule of guest speakers is as follows:
Tuesday, September 10
• 9:15-10:00 am, Brittany Venturella, Director of Curatorial Affairs, Allen County Museum, Ohio’s Journey to the Moon
• 10:20-11:05 am, Dr. Melvin Monroe, Museum Docent, Pioneer Medicine & More
• 11:15-11:45 am, Ray Schuck, former Director of Allen County Museum, Lima’s Memorial Hall
Wednesday, September 11
• 9:10-9:55 am, Anne Edwards, The Faurot Opera House
• 10:10-11:10 am, Bruce Marshall, Museum Docent, The Scioto Marsh
• 11:15 am-12:00 pm, Jan Augenstein, Marion County Historical Society Board Member, Florence Harding: A Woman Ahead of Her Time
Friday, September 13
• 9:05-9:50 am, Beth Seibert & Casey Heilman, Allen County Soil & Water Conservation District, A River Runs Through It: A Historical Perspective of the Ottawa River Watershed
• 10:05-11:05 am, Carrie Phillips, Archives & Special Collections Librarian, Musselman Library at Bluffton University, “We Are Still Compelled…”: The World War I Expereince for Bluffton College
• 11:15 am-12:00 pm, Andy Verhoff, History Fund Grant Manager at Ohio History Connection, The Ohio Historical Markers Program