Early-morning blaze destroys Shawnee Township home


SHAWNEE TOWNSHIP — An early-morning fire Tuesday destroyed a Shawnee area home and sent its five occupants to a Lima hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

According to a spokesman for the Shawnee Fire Department, firefighters were dispatched shortly after 2 a.m. Tuesday to 2236 Garden Boulevard in reference to a residential fire. Upon their arrival firefighters found heavy smoke and flames coming from the two-story structure.

Five occupants of the home — two adults and three children — had escaped from the residence before firefighters arrived and were taken to Mercy Health-St. Rita’s Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries.

The fire was brought until control some three hours later, the spokesman said.

Damage to the structure and its contents was estimated at $200,000. The home, owned by Byron and Michelle Cox, was deemed a total loss.

The names of the occupants of the home were not immediately available Tuesday.

Providing mutual aid at the scene were firefighters from the Lima and American Township fire departments. Shawnee police also provided assistance.

Post navigation