Rural Delphos home suffers extensive damage in Tuesday night blaze


DELPHOS — A Tuesday evening fire caused massive damage to a rural Delphos home and sent its two occupants to a Lima hospital for evaluation.

According to a spokesman for the Delphos Fire Department, firefighters were summoned at 7:52 p.m. Tuesday to 6077 Kiggins Road in response to a residential fire. Upon arrive firemen found the home engulfed in heavy smoke, with the two occupants already outside the home.

James Benfield, 80, and his wife Ann, 63, complained of breathing difficulties and were transported to Mercy Health-St. Rita’s Medical Center for evaluation of smoke inhalation.

According to the spokesman, the fire started in the basement due to what firefighters believe was an electrical issue stemming from a paper shredding device. The fire damaged the basement and a room at the back of the home, causing an estimated $200,000 in damages. The home was not considered a total loss, the spokesman said.

Units from Spencerville, Fort Jennings and American Township assisted at the scene.

https://www.limaohio.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/54/2018/11/web1_Fire-5.jpg

Post navigation