Shawnee schools discusses levy attempt

Decision on attempt should come at December meeting

By Sam Shriver -

SHAWNEE TOWNSHIP — The Shawnee school board met for the first time since the November election where voters approved a renewal levy but rejected an additional tax levy.

Board members discussed their next step Tuesday.

“This is the first time we’ve gotten together. We’ll have to take a look and decide if what we did was what we want to do again or if we want to try something new. There are income taxes out there. We haven’t really looked at that too hard. We’ve just gone with millage which we’ve always done in the past, so we’ll take a look and see where we go from here,” said Mike Carpenter, school board president.

A decision to place an issue on the May ballot will likely be made at the December school board meeting, although there was some discussion about waiting until next November.

“There are some requirements as far as deadlines, where you got to get something to the board of elections,” added Carpenter.

The decision to go to the voters needs to be carefully considered.

“Being on the May ballot will be very difficult. I don’t know if it can be pulled together,” said Superintendent James Kanable.

“We’ll have to evaluate what type of levy to get, how much to ask for, really look at our books as far as the balances that it will impact, that millage amount or the type of levy we will do,” said Kanable.

Treasurer Chris Cross offered to create a resolution that could appear on the December board meeting agenda, but whether the board votes to approve it remains up in the air.

The renewal and additional levies drew more voters than usual to the polls.

“In this past election, there was a huge turnout, and that was good to see. In midterms, the voter turnout isn’t quite as high, so the key to us, as in any election, will be getting our supporters out and getting our message out if the decision to go in May does occur,” said Kanable.

The board decided to schedule a special meeting to discuss their options. That meeting is set for 5:30 p.m. Dec. 6 in the board room.
Decision on attempt should come at December meeting

By Sam Shriver

Reach Sam Shriver at 567-242-0409.

Reach Sam Shriver at 567-242-0409.

Post navigation