Damage in Ottawa house fire described as ‘substantial’


Staff reports



Ottawa firefighters responded Thursday evening to a structure fire at 726 S. Oak St. The fire started in an attached garage and spread to the living area of the residence before being extinguished.

Ottawa firefighters responded Thursday evening to a structure fire at 726 S. Oak St. The fire started in an attached garage and spread to the living area of the residence before being extinguished.


David Trinko | The Lima News

OTTAWA — A Thursday evening fire that caused heavy damage to a home in Ottawa is believed to have been started by an electrical malfunction.

Ottawa Fire Department Chief Dan Rieman said firefighters were dispatched at about 8 p.m. to a home at 726 S. Oak St. Upon their arrival, firefighters found an attached garage at the residence owned by Maria Tapia to be fully engulfed in flames. Rieman said the fire spread into the residence before firemen were able to extinguish the blaze.

The home was occupied at the time of the fire, but residents were able to safely leave the structure after they were notified by a passing motorist that the house was on fire. Rieman said the local Red Cross chapter was called to help the family find lodging for the night.

The fire chief declined to put a dollar figure on the damage but called it “substantial.”

Mutual aid was provided at the scene by fire departments from Glandorf, Leipsic and Columbus Grove.

The incident remains under investigation.

Ottawa firefighters responded Thursday evening to a structure fire at 726 S. Oak St. The fire started in an attached garage and spread to the living area of the residence before being extinguished.
https://www.limaohio.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/54/2018/07/web1_Ottawa-house-fire-2.jpgOttawa firefighters responded Thursday evening to a structure fire at 726 S. Oak St. The fire started in an attached garage and spread to the living area of the residence before being extinguished. David Trinko | The Lima News

Staff reports

Post navigation