SUGAR CREEK TOWNSHIP — Fire destroyed a farmhouse early Thursday morning that kept firefighters from six departments busy for more than five hours.
According to a spokesman for the American Township Fire Department, who received the initial call, firefighters were dispatched at approximately 12:15 a.m. Thursday to 4950 N. Wapak Road. This area is between state Route 309 and U.S. 30 north of Elida. Upon their arrival, firemen found flames coming from an upstairs window of the structure.
The occupants of the home, owned by Brent and Bridget Troyer, escaped without injury.
The fire was blamed on a chimney malfunction in the home that featured a wood-burning fireplace.
Firefighters from Shawnee, Delphos, Spencerville, Cairo and Fort Jennings provided mutual aid.