DELPHOS — Firefighters braved temperatures in the single digits Saturday night after a grain dryer caught the soybeans inside of it on fire.
A call was made to 911 at 7:14 p.m. alerting first responders to the fire at Bunge North America, 234 S. Jefferson St. in Delphos.
When firefighters arrived, they found smoke and flames coming from the dryer three stories high.
They immediately called American Township for mutual aid to have them assist with their ladder truck.
Delphos also received assistance from the Fort Jennings Fire Department, who manned the station while Delphos firefighters were trying to put the grain fire out.
“Frozen lines made things difficult,” said Delphos Fire Chief Kevin Streets.
Streets says the cause is listed as mechanical failure in the dryer.
No word on the total amount of damages was available.
Delphos firefighters cleared the scene at 10:30 p.m. Saturday.
Cleanup crews from Bunge were on the scene Sunday afternoon removing the burnt soybeans from the dryer.
Reach Sam Shriver at 567-242-0409.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU