Torch thawing pipes leads to fire, $15,000 of damage in antique cars building

AMERICAN TOWNSHIP — A Tuesday morning fire to a structure that housed antique automobiles caused at least $15,000 in damages.

American Township Fire Chief Thomas Hadding said that dollar figure could go even higher if any of the unspecified number of vintage autos suffered smoke damage.

Firefighters were dispatched at 10:12 a.m. Tuesday to 4965 Dutch Hollow Road, near the intersection of Sherrick Road, in response to a fire in an outbuilding at the property owned by Steve Hawkey. Upon their arrival, firemen observed smoke coming from the building and subsequently discovered a fire in the wall of the building that extended into the attic.

Firefighters from Delphos and Shawnee provided mutual aid in extinguishing the blaze.

Hadding said the fire started when an individual was attempting to thaw a frozen water line with a hand-held torch. There were no injuries reported.

More Stories

Post navigation