LIMA — Dawn, 28, has had a very rough couple of years.
Her father, whom she was very close with, died in 2014. Her elder sister died within eight months of him, after giving birth to a baby boy. Dawn’s husband left her two years ago, on her eldest daughter’s birthday, leaving her to care for their three children, Jean, 8; Jessalyn, 6 and Caleb, 4.
To top it off, in September of this year, Dawn had a grease fire in the house she rented. Luckily for her, she grabbed the children and was able to get outside. The fire was contained to the kitchen, but with the smoke damage, Dawn lost a lot of her belongings.
Thankfully, the Red Cross stepped in as well as the Salvation Army. She was able to get furniture and thanks to her very nice landlord, was able to move into a different rental house. While things are looking up for her, Dawn is concerned for her children at Christmas.
Dawn is in school at Rhodes State for radiology.
Her three children have been begging her for in-line skates and scooters.
Jean is 8, but will turn 9 on New Year’s Day. She wears a girls size 8 in pants and shirts; a medium in pajamas; and size 2 1/2 in shoes and winter boots. Dawn said Jean could use a snowsuit. She is a girlie girl and likes to play with makeup and loves the Descendents and Monster High dolls.
Jessalyn is 6 years old. She wears a girls size 7 in pants and shirts; pajama’s would be a medium; she wears a 2 1/2 in shoes and winter boots. She too likes playing with makeup. She loves Hello Kitty and Shopkins.
Both girls love Barbie and would love a Barbie dollhouse. They lost some of their Barbies in the fire.
Caleb is 4 years old. He wears a boys pant size 5; shirts 5-6; shoes 1; boots 1; snowsuit size 5. He enjoys playing with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Batman and Spiderman. He loves cars and those cars with race tracks. He could use a Batman hat and Batman gloves. He just got a Batman coat so he now wants the hat and gloves to match his coat.
Dawn is asking for some household things that were lost in the fire. She needs a mixer and blender as well as a Keurig coffee pot. They could all use sheets and blankets. Caleb sleeps on a full-size bed and the girls are in twin bunk beds.
“All my big stuff is gone. I salvaged some clothes. I lost just about everything in the kitchen. All my furniture all my beds. I lost all the pictures on my walls. The main things I salvaged was some of the kids’ toys, clothes, some shoes, towels. Other than that, all of my big stuff I lost,” Dawn said. “I had never been through a fire. When I got help from Salvation Army and American Red Cross the first thing I got was a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.”
Reach Merri Hanjora at 567-242-0511.