Manhattan Shorts Film Festival
7 p.m., Friday, Sept. 23 and Saturday, Sept. 24 and 2 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 25
It’s back! Film lovers will unite to view and judge the work of the next generation of filmmakers when the 25th Annual Manhattan Film Festival screens in over 400 cities worldwide. ArtSpace/Lima, 65 Town Square, Lima, will be this area’s only location to see The Final Ten selections screened simultaneously during this one-week period. All attendees will view the ‘shorts’ and then be given a ballot to vote for Best Film and Best Actor awards for the Oscars. Doors open a half hour before the screening time. Tickets are $15 if purchased in advance, or $20 at the door. For tickets and more information, please call ArtSpace/Lima at 419-222-1721.
ONU Star Parties
8-10 p.m., Friday, September 23
The Ohio Northern University Observatory, located on the northeastern part of campus in Ada along Lincoln Avenue near the Wander Field baseball diamond, is hosting public events throughout the fall of 2022. The event on Sept. 23 is titled “Autumnal Equinox and Jupiter approaching opposition.” Telescopes will be available for sharing. For more information on these Star Parties, go to https://bit.ly/3QMWs1p.
Tailgate for Cancer
2-11 p.m. Saturday, September 24
Lima Women of the Moose will hold its annual Tailgate for Cancer event at the Lima Moose Lodge, 2929 N. West St., Lima. This family event will feature children’s activities from 2 to 7 p.m., including a bounce house. There will also be auctions, cornhole, a bake sale, 50/50 drawings, food trucks, raffles and more. Classic rock band Another Round will also perform from 7 to 11 p.m. The Ohio State-Wisconsin football game will be shown on the big screen during the event. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to local cancer patients in need in the form of gift cards.
Designer Bag Bingo
7 p.m. Saturday, September 24
The VFW 8445 Auxiliary will hold a Designer Bag Bingo starting at 7 p.m. (with doors open at 6 p.m.) at 712 N. Dixie Highway, Wapakoneta. Tickets are $35 for 15 games of bingo and hors d’oeuvres. There will be a cash bar, 50/50 and a punch board for more prizes. All proceeds will benefit veterans. To purchase tickets, visit the VFW or call 567-694-2486 or 419-236-2902.
7:30 p.m. Tuesday, September 27
Take a walk through the forest while our day is turning into night. Join Johnny Appleseed Metropark staff and learn about the crepuscular animals that are active at this hour and use our senses to better navigate the trails. Be prepared for the weather and ground conditions at McLean Teddy Bear Park, 2004 N. Dixie Hwy., Lima. Register by Sept. 26 by calling the Johnny Appleseed Metro Park district office at 419-221-1232 or visiting their website at jampd.com.
• Ada High School Alumni Tailgate: 5:30 p.m. Friday, Corner of S. Simon St and N. Park St., Ada. Free.
• Nashville Recording Artists, “East Meets West”, J. Marc Bailey & Jeneen Terrana: 8 p.m. Friday, Purple Feet Wine Boutique, 230 N. Main St. Tickets $15 at https://tinyurl.com/3pbvp9pk.
• Grace Kelly, Van Wert Night of Jazz: 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Niswonger Performing Arts Center, 10700 OH-118, Van Wert. Tickets $15-45 at https://tinyurl.com/25m52cf2.
• Cotton at the Wapakoneta Eagles (rock & roll, country, oldies, Motown): 7:30-10:30 p.m. Saturday, 25 E. Auglaize St., Wapakoneta. $5 cover.
• Go Outside and Play!, 50 Things To Do Before You Are 11 ¾: 2-4 p.m. Sunday, Kendrick Woods Metro Park, 971 N. Defiance Trail, Lima. Free.
• “Busy Bees” Watercolor Painting with Jeanne Beutler: 2 to 4 p.m. OR 5:30 to 7:30 p.m Wednesday, Putnam County Districy Library, 136 Putnam Pkwy., Ottawa. Free.