Christmas isn’t Christmas without Christmas foods.
If you’re not getting together in person, do you have to miss out?
Here are a few ideas. Mix and match to find a good fit for your family:
• Share recipes with one another before your virtual get-together. Everyone can make the same foods and share the same meal, even though you’re apart. You can all compliment Grandma on her wonderful ham glaze — and mean it.
• Perhaps your family has a competitive streak. Start with the family sugar cookie recipe, shared around as needed, and have a virtual contest on who is the best cookie decorator. A basic gingerbread house kit could also be the starting point for a competition.
• If you live in the same area as your family, make a huge dinner or cookie tray, and deliver portions to the doorsteps of your loved ones. This is especially nice if they’re not able to cook for themselves.
• Perhaps your family’s older generation still likes to cook or bake but needs it to be simpler than in the past. This could also be the case for families with young children. A gift basket dropped off on the porch, if you’re local, could include commercially available cookie mixes or pre-made doughs and decors.
• If you live far away from your loved ones, call or do research online on favorite restaurants to see if a meal could be delivered.
• If you’ve practiced and gotten more comfortable with video calls, consider having a cooking class. Grandma and grandkids could be on a call, with Grandma supervising the children’s baking efforts. Or, conversely, Grandma could demonstrate a family favorite recipe. Be sure to record it so you can reference it next year to get that pie’s edge fluted just so. These moments could be extra special once time passes.
• Consider a cookie swap, if you’re local. Each family member makes one type of treat, and portions are packaged and exchanged via front porches. If you do this prior to your video call, you could unbox them all at the same time and ooh and ahh together. If you’re not local, cookies can be shipped. Just choose sturdy ones.