LIMA — The Irish Parade has become not only a celebration for the Irish community but for the entire Lima area community.
Kim Finn has been involved in organizing the parade for about 15 years and said it still excites her seeing the turn out every year.
“You’ll see a lot of people out. It’s the best feeling in the world that day driving down Main Street,” she said. “When I first started getting involved, it was not long after I lost my father, so it helped.
“It felt like a camaraderie among the Irish and it felt very welcoming, friendly and loyal,” she added. “Everybody is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day. It’s the whole spring thing too, everybody needs an excuse to get out and have fun.”
This year’s Grand Marshal is Tim Casey, long-time north-ender. As usual, the parade will include a bunch of Irish families, floats, cars and motorcycles, high school bands local businesses, Finn said.
“If anybody has seen the parade, it’s the same thing as always,” she added.
Once again, trophies for the best families, businesses and marching bands will be awarded at the VFW, 124 E. Elm St., Lima.
Finn said she expects a great turnout following a harsh and spastic winter.
“The parade is kind of our warning that spring is right around the corner. It signals winter is almost over,” she said.
Entries for the parade will be taken until the day of by calling Finn at 419-860-0072 or organizer Darby Bourk at 419-302-8089.
Other St. Patrick’s Day festivities include:
• Lima Irish Parade Day, noon to 11 p.m. Saturday, Paddy Mac’s Irish Pub, 772 N. West St., Lima.
• Irish Party, 2 p.m. to midnight Saturday, Vino Bellissimo, 2412 Cable Court, Lima.
• St. Patrick’s Day Party with Section Ate, 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday, Lima Moose, 2929 N. West St., Lima.
• St. Patty’s Day Afternoon with Mischief, 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday, Mulligan’s Irish Pub, 702 W. North St., Lima.
• St. Patrick’s Day, 10 to 2:30 a.m. Saturday, The 318 Restaurant and Bar, 318 N. Main St., Lima.
• St. Patrick’s Day Bash, 1 p.m. Saturday, The Ohio Theatre, 122 W. North St., Lima. $10.
• St. Patrick’s Day, 10 a.m. Saturday, The Met, 306 N. Main St., Lima.
Reach Tara Jones at 567-242-0511.