LIMA — There’s an Irish saying that goes, “if you’re enough lucky to be Irish… You’re lucky enough!”
Lima residents are all Irish Saturday as they partake in the Irish Day Parade.
The 26th annual Irish Day Parade will be held at noon Saturday starting at Robb Avenue near St. Gerard School. The parade travels south on Main Street to Market Street and will end at Town Square.
The parade is traditionally held the week prior to St. Patrick’s Day.
“We always do it a week before because people from out of town know when it is scheduled. It’s great for the Lima businesses too, that they get two weekends to celebrate our Irish heritage,” said Darby Bourk, event organizer.
The parade will include 80 to 90 units, with people passing candy out to the children along the route.
The grand marshal is Danny Killian, who died earlier in the year.
“His family will be representing him. He lived a good life and did a lot for youth sports. It’s a nice tribute to him,” Bourk said.
Float entries will be taken up until the day of the parade. If anyone wants to participate, call Bourk at 419-302-8089.
Several other events are taking place on Saturday in celebration of the Irish Day Parade:
• Pre-St. Patrick’s Day Bash at The Ohio Theatre, 1 p.m., The Ohio Theatre, 122 W. North St., Lima, featuring Nashville Crush and Brother Believe Me. $10 cover charge at the door with ID. Must be 18 and older to enter. An Irish costume contest will be held, with cash prizes and shamrock drink specials. Food sold by the Pizza Station.
• Parade to Pappy’s, 2 to 6 p.m., Pappy’s, 1000 W. North St., Lima. Post-parade party.
• Shamrock & Roll at Vino Bellissimo, 4 to 8 p.m., 2412 Cable Court, Lima. Live music, Irish food, Irish booze.
• Drink and food specials at The Met, 10 a.m.-11 p.m., 306 N. Main St., Lima. Reuben wraps and Reuben flatbread sandwiches and a “Getting Lucky Tavern Burger.”
• Reuben sandwiches at Milano Cafe, 2383 Elida Road, Lima.
• Irish party open to the public at Knights of Columbus, 12 p.m., 810 S. Cable Road, Lima, featuring corned beef and cabbage and Reuben sandwiches prepared by Milano Cafe. Green aluminum beer cans and entertainment from 3 to 6 p.m. by an Irish folk singer, Mossy Moran.
• Both Lima Beer Barrel locations will have green beer on draft and Shamrock bottled beer.
• Green bottled beer at Lombardo’s 6 a.m.-2:30 a.m., 447 N. Main St., Lima.
• Green bottled beer and Irish food at Paddy Mac’s, 10 a.m. to 1 a.m., 772 N. West St., Lima.
Reach Merri Hanjora at 567-242-0511.