Living an active life can be challenging for many of us. Obstacles and hindrances can be especially abundant during the colder months of the year. However, barriers do not need to hold you back. As we continue our series on the “The New You” and looking into 2018 as a year where you make some healthy changes, we want to give you as many tools as possible to be successful. We want to offer you five strategies that may help you make physical activity a way of life. Being active can become an ingrained part of your everyday life.
1. Set aside one block of time every day to be active. Start off small and gradually build up your activity time. Start with 20-30 minutes of time every day to be activity.
2. Look for 10-15 minutes during your day to be active. Squeezing in this additional activity will help create a healthy habit.
3. Replace inactive choices with active choices whenever there is an opportunity. An example would be to park your car further away from normal. Instead of looking for the closest spot, head out and park in the back row.
4. Stretch all of your major muscle groups each and every day. Stretching is one the best ways to become more flexible and to prevent/avoid muscle soreness, cramps and injuries. Start your day off right, by stretching.
5. Choose activities that you enjoy. If you have fun and enjoy your activities, then you will be much more likely to want to continue doing them. Anything that gets you moving should be considered. Do what you love!
Hopefully by implementing some of these tips, you can sustain your changes in health and fitness for years to come. The goal of the New You is not to keep your goals through March 2018, but to sustain your changes for years to come and make them a part of your daily lifestyle. If you have questions or desire further information, contact our office at 419-222-6045.