Child playing with lighter ignites room


First Posted: 1/22/2015

VAN WERT — A child playing with a lighter caught a nearby blanket and chair on fire, igniting an entire room Wednesday afternoon. The mother and two children inside were able to escape the two-story home safely.

The Van Wert Fire Department responded to the fire at 325 S. Shannon St. at approximately 3 p.m. Wednesday.

Smoke and flames were visible when crews arrived. The fire was contained to one room in the home, and firefighters remained on the scene for an hour. The cost of damage was listed as under $1,000.

The residents are renting the home. It is owned by George and Shirley Webb, of Grover Hill, according the Van Wert County Auditor’s website.

Post navigation