Smoking in bed blamed for Lima apartment fire

First Posted: 5/7/2014

LIMA – A woman who fell asleep smoking in bed is likely the cause of an early morning fire Wednesday.

The fire at 831 ½ W. Wayne St. was called in at 5:50 a.m. The occupant of the apartment inside a house, Tammy Nance, said she probably fell asleep while she was smoking in bed, said Battalion Chief Greg Kirkendall of the Lima Fire Department.

The fire was in a second-floor bedroom and started in the mattress. Nance was not injured, but three cats died in the fire, Kirkendall said.

The fire caused $13,000 in damage. The home is owned by Philip W. Kleman, according to Allen County Auditor records.

Post navigation