• There was one death attributed to COVID-19 reported in Allen County in the last week, according to the Ohio Department of Health.
• Community transmission, or the probability of being exposed to the virus, is high in Allen, Auglaize, Hardin, Putnam and Van Wert counties, according to the CDC. Still, CDC data indicated the overall disease burden in the region remains low, as only 1.1% of inpatient hospital beds were in use by COVID-19 patients.
• Van Wert claimed the 54th highest per capita case rate in Ohio with 191 cases per 100,000 residents reported to ODH in the last two weeks.
Allen County ranked 56th in Ohio with 185.6 cases per 100,000 people, followed by Putnam County at 68th (161), Hardin County at 79th (127.5) and Auglaize County at 80th (127).
• The FDA last week authorized a single booster shot for children aged 5-11 to provide “continued protection” for fully vaccinated children as new cases escalate across the U.S.
FDA Commissioner Dr. Robert Califf said Tuesday that more children were infected and hospitalized with COVID-19 during the omicron wave, even though the virus has generally been less severe for children than adults. Kids may also experience longer term effects from the virus, even after mild illness, he said.
• Health Partners of Western Ohio’s Lima quick clinic is authorized as a test-to-treat location where antivirals are prescribed for those who test positive for the virus.
Antivirals and monoclonal antibody treatments are also available by prescription through other urgent care centers and primary care offices in Lima.
Cases ` 27,842 ` +100
Deaths ` 479 ` +1
Recovered ` 27,025 ` +57
Cases ` 11,706 ` +34
Deaths ` 189 ` 0
Recovered ` 11,364 ` +23
Cases ` 7,183 ` +22
Deaths ` 158 ` 0
Recovered ` 6,961 ` +24
Cases ` 8,546 ` +32
Deaths ` 157 ` 0
Recovered ` 8,300 ` +9
Van Wert County
Cases ` 6,811 ` +21
Deaths ` 148 ` 0
Recovered ` 6,592 ` +12
Cases ` 2,763,123 ` +19,546
Deaths ` 38,628 ` +38
Recovered ` 2,669,025 ` +12,331
Recovered defined as symptom onset more than 21 days prior, not deceased. Only verified deaths included now.
Updated 2 p.m. 5/26/22