Now that most of the top recruiting targets for Ohio State in the class of 2018 have made their decisions, the Buckeyes coaches have turned their attention to the class of 2019.
OSU has one verbal commitment in the 2019 class. Doug Nester, a 4-star offensive tackle from Spring Valley High School in Huntington, W. Va., has said he plans to sign next year.
According to 247sports.com, Ohio State has made offers to players from 24 states and the District of Columbia for 2019. Twenty of those athletes are from Florida, 19 are from Georgia, 13 are from Texas, seven are from Tennessee and six are from Ohio.
The top 10 players in Ohio, according to 247sports.com are: offensive guard Zach Harrison (Olentangy Orange), defensive tackle Jowan Briggs (Cincinnati Walnut Hills), offensive tackle Nolan Rumler (Akron Hoban), linebacker Cade Stover (Lexington), defensive end Steve Fancheux (Lakota West), athlete Andre Gordon (Sidney), defensive tackle Rodas Johnson (Columbus DeSales), athlete Mershawn Rice (Reynoldsburg), defensive end Noah Potter (Mentor) and offensive guard Zeke Correll (Cincinnati Anderson). Harrison is a 5-star recruit. The others are all 4-stars.
“We played in a lot of big stage games this year. It’s another one.”
— Wide receiver Johnnie Dixon on the Cotton Bowl.
BUCKEYE BRAIN BUSTERS
1. Who was the first USC player to win the Heisman Trophy?
2. When did USC start playing its home games at the Los Angeles Coliseum?
3. How many times did Archie Griffin rush for more than 100 yards in three Rose Bowls against USC?
4. Who caught J.T. Barrett’s first touchdown pass at Ohio State?
5. Who caught Art Schlichter’s first touchdown pass at Ohio State?
Answers: 1. Mike Garrett (1965); 2. 1923; 3. Once; 4. Devin Smith; 5. Doug Donley