1. Gas prices are at $4 a gallon, everybody's complaining about it. So what are you doing about it?
With the prices so high, I got tired of pumping gas so I pumped up my tires, got out my bike and off I went.
2. What motivated you to start it?
Last November I was scheduled to get gastric bypass. My family talked me out of it, so I said I'd give myself one more year to lose it on my own. I went to the doctor and asked him for help. He said I have to do two things: eat less and do more. So now I'm doing more.
3. The signs on your bike read "$0.00 a gallon" and "Join Me." So what kind of reaction are you getting from people?
Smiles. I'm waiting for them to start honking their horn. I hope they do. And I hope some of them do join me. It's good for everybody.
4. How long do you plan on keeping this up?
At least all summer. The prices aren't going down. I probably rode about four miles today. For the first time in my life I felt that adrenaline rush they say you get. It felt good.
I feel the most sorry for the moms who have to go to work and fill up their tanks. Some of them are just making enough to get gas.
5. I notice the big (about 8 feet by 5 feet) "Drugs Bring Death" sign in your front yard. Is it safe to say you don't shy away from making a statement?
Nope. I'm the kind that says it and says, "Yeah, I said it and you thought it." That man, Jesse [Lowe] came to our house and gave us two of his T-shirts. I say you've got to get involved ... peole are afraid to even put the signs in their windows.
6. This isn't a particularly fancy bike to be riding around on. Are you considering an upgrade?
I need a new bike. I've lowered the seat as low as I can. I'm only [5 feet 2 inches] so I'm touching on my tiptoes. But this will do for now.