Sunday, July 13, 2014





Church tours offered Sunday in Putnam County


August 24. 2013 5:18AM
Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle


Putnam County Historical Society will host a tour of three Putnam



County churches this Sunday, June 9, from 1 to 3 p.m. The churches are St.



Michaelís Catholic Church in Kalida, Holy Family Catholic Church on SR



109 in New Cleveland and Grace Mennonite Church in Pandora.



The tours are open to the public. Each church will have a member of



the church to explain the history of the church and answer questions.



St. Michaels Catholic Church



312 N Broad St. Kalida



Informational talk at 1:00 and 2:00 In 1920 the parish decided they did



not fit in their old church so they built a new church. They hired an architect



, formed committees and on August 31, 1924 the first corner stone was put



into place. The project was completed two years later so on May 2, 1926



the formal dedication took place. The campanile of this magnificent building raises 135 feet into the air and is topped with a cross. This church is built in the Lombardic-Romaesque style of Northern Italy. The roof is of Spanish brick.



Holy Family Catholic Church



New Cleveland 7359 St. Route 109



This parish was started in 1859 bya small colony of German Pioneers.



The first church was built in 1860. In 1915 the plans were made for



a new church. March 18, 1916 was the completion date. The cost was



$32,000 On Easter Sunday 1919 a statue of the Holy Family was placed



in the church above the high altar. The statue was purchased by the parishioners



at a cost of $274 .



Pandora Grace Mennonite Church



502 East Main Street , Pandora



On May 1, 1904 a group held their first meeting in the old Methodist



Church in Pandora. The group met again at Diller Hall above the hardware store in Pandora. On Saturday, May 7, an organizational meeting was held and a constitution



was adopted. In August of 1904 about three dozen men and ten or twelve teams of



horses began excavation for the new building. The building was dedicated on February 26, 1905.






St. Michael's


Holy Family


Grace Mennonite


Comments
comments powered by Disqus
Poll


Social Media/RSS
LimaOhio.com on Facebook
LimaOhio.com on Twitter
LimaOhio.com on Youtube
LimaOhio.com on Google+
LimaOhio.com on Pinterest
LimaOhio.com RSS Feeds





Civitas Media
COPYRIGHT 2013 CIVITAS MEDIA. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.