LIMA - The American Township Fire Department responded to fires at the Lima Mall twice Wednesday.
The first was at approximately 6:30 a.m. when smoke was seen coming from a maintenance electrical room. It was discovered that a dryer had caught on fire, which was extinguished by sprinklers. The damage from the smoke is estimated to be $5,000.
The second response came at 9:25 a.m. when smoke was seen in the men's department of Macy's department store. A sprinkler had gone off in the fitting room, where it was later discovered that a fire had started in the area of a light fixture. While a final estimate has yet to be determined, damage to the store contents from the water and smoke could be as high as $3 million. Macy's has completed the cleanup and will be open as usual for Friday.
No one was injured in either incident, and the investigation of the Macy's fire is still continuing.