An arson investigator was called in Wednesday to look into a suspicious fire after firefighters smelled a strong odor of kerosene in a vacant house even after the fire had taken over the home.
Firefighters responded at midnight Tuesday to a fire in a house and a detached garage at 384 W. Grand Ave. Upon arrival, heavy smoke was coming from both buildings, said Lt. Andy Heffner, of the Lima Fire Department.
Besides the odor of kerosene, firefighters spotted pour patterns in the bedrooms of the building, indicating an accelerant placed in those locations, Heffner said.
No one was injured, and the home is vacant. The estimated loss was placed at $30,000, Heffner said.
The home is owned by Andy J. Patrick Jr., of Elida, according to Allen County Auditor records.