Wednesday, July 9, 2014





Teen admits role in Kenton 'hit list' case


August 25. 2013 4:56AM
Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle


KENTON — One girl charged with compiling a “hit list” at a middle school entered a plea Monday while another entered a plea only to withdraw it after she refused to admit she did anything wrong.



The 13-year-old girl entered an admission, the equivalent of a guilty plea, to disorderly conduct during a hearing at Hardin County Juvenile Court. Judge James Rapp sentenced her to 10 days in jail, ordered she perform 16 hours community service and pay a $30 fine. She also will remain on probation.



She told the judge she and the two other girls at Kenton Middle School were in study hall on Sept. 17 when they decided to write down the names of people at the school they did not like.



Another girl wrote “hit list” at the top of the list after the names were compiled. The other girl later dropped the list in the hallway after study hall ended, the 13-year-old said.



Rapp reminded her about the recent issues with school violence and the heightened sense of concern. The girl said she was aware.



“We never thought it would get that far,” she said.



Assistant Prosecutor Ryan Zerby said the girls were spotted on camera dropping the note in the hallway.



The other girl who appeared in court entered an admission to the same charge of disorderly conduct and was about to be sentenced when she refused to admit she did anything wrong.



“I had little to do with this,” she said. “I said a boy’s name who I like.”



She told the judge she had no idea what the other girls were doing.



“They had asked me who I like and I turned around and it didn’t have anything on the top of it,” she said.



Rapp said he would not accept a plea from someone who does not admit wrongdoing.



The girl refused and Rapp scheduled March 18 for a trial.



A third girl entered a plea about a month ago to disorderly conduct and received a similar sentence as the 13-year-old received Monday.



The charge of inducing panic, a first-degree misdemeanor, was dropped in each case for the girls who entered admissions in exchange for the pleas.



Kenton Police Chief John Vermillion previously said the “hit list” appeared to be part of a joke but stressed it was no laughing matter. He said police officials have to take such matters serious because of tragic events that have occurred at schools across the country.



The girls were suspended from school after the incident.



Police officers later investigated a copycat incident at Espy Elementary School, but no charges were filed from that case.



A pupil at the middle school found the handwritten note on a hallway floor. It had at least 15 names of pupils and teachers on it.





Comments
comments powered by Disqus
Poll


Social Media/RSS
LimaOhio.com on Facebook
LimaOhio.com on Twitter
LimaOhio.com on Youtube
LimaOhio.com on Google+
LimaOhio.com on Pinterest
LimaOhio.com RSS Feeds





Civitas Media
COPYRIGHT 2013 CIVITAS MEDIA. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.