LIMA — A third case of the H1N1 flu has been confirmed in Allen County, health officials said Friday.
Health Commissioner David Rosebrock said the health department received confirmation this week that a sick 3-year-old girl has swine flu.
“We just received word of a 3-year-old who was hospitalized who had the symptoms. The local hospital decided they would like to have the child tested,” Rosebrock said. “The good news is this 3-year-old child is recovering. She did have some other underlying health issues which we’ve learned means people are more susceptible to influenza.”
Officials said the girl has since been released from the hospital and is recovering at home. Rosebrock declined to say which Lima hospital treated the girl.
If people develop the fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuff nose, headache, chills or fatigue associated with the virus, they need to get checked out, Rosebrock said.
“If people do develop flu-like symptoms, we continue to stress the importance of staying home and away from others for seven days after symptoms start, or for 24 hours after symptoms are gone, whichever is longer,” he said.
The two previous cases both involved students at the University of Northwestern Ohio. Both have since recovered.
So far, Ohio has 142 confirmed cases of H1N1 with one confirmed death, according to information from the county health department. There have been more than 33,000 confirmed cases nationwide resulting in 170 deaths.
According to the Ohio Department of Health, the state will receive $9.8 million in one-time pandemic preparedness funds to continue to address the H1N1 outbreak. The funding for Ohio is part of a $260 million national program.
“The wave of flu illness we saw starting in April should be a wake-up call to all Ohioans — that preparedness is important for each individual, family and community,” Alvin Jackson, director of the state health department, said. “Government cannot do this alone. A flu pandemic affects every one of us, and every one of us should prepare.”