Thursday, July 10, 2014

Dog alerts residents to house fire on Elm Street

August 24. 2013 11:52PM
Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle

A barking dog warned occupants of an Elm Street home that their house was on fire early Wednesday morning.

Lima Fire Department responded to 2488 W. Elm St., at 2:39 a.m. in reference to smoke filling the home. They arrived to find a fire in the home’s attic, stretching about one-third across the length of the attic.

Homeowner Randy Gratz and residents said they were awakened by the family dogs barking and eventually by smoke detectors sounding. They found smoke in the home and were able to evacuate on their own.

Damages were assessed around $10,000, but the home is worth $110,000, fire officials reported. The official report ruled the fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring in the attic. There were no injuries as a result of the flames.

Fire officials remained on scene until around 4:22 a.m. Wednesday.

comments powered by Disqus

Social Media/RSS on Facebook on Twitter on Youtube on Google+ on Pinterest RSS Feeds

Civitas Media