CELINA — There’s been a break in the 2011 double murder of a rural Fort Recovery man and his daughter.
Mercer County Sheriff Jeff Grey announced Tuesday he would hold a press conference this morning to announce arrests in the slayings of Robert and Colleen Grube.
“No details will be released until the press statement,” Grey said in a written statement.
The Lima News learned Bryant L. Rhoades, 22, of Union City, was arrested Tuesday. Rhoades has been charged with obstructing justice, a third-degree felony.
Mercer County Prosecutor Matt Fox said the charge is over an alleged incident that occurred June 4. Rhoades is accused of purposely hindering “the discovery, apprehension, prosecution, conviction or punishment of another, for a crime or assist another to benefit from the commission of a crime, communicate false information to the officers and agents investigating the November 29-30, 2011 murders of Robert and Colleen Grube.”
Fox declined to make say anything more.
Grey used the word “arrests,” indicating more than one person.
The Grubes were found dead inside Robert Grube’s home on Burrville Road, three miles east of Fort Recovery on Nov. 30, 2011.
The 70-year-old man and his 47-year-old daughter had been bound with duct tape and killed.
Grey last spoke about the case at a press conference in November near the one-year anniversary of the double murder. He said he was confident it would be solved but it would take some time. The sheriff sounded as if investigators were closing in on suspects, but he stopped short of saying they had strong suspects.
“We have some individuals I’m not comfortable calling suspects but we are very curious about them, at this point. We are very serious about putting a lot of effort into them,” Grey said.
Grey has had a full-time detective on the case, and the Ohio Attorney General’s Office provided an investigator to assist.
The investigation has led detectives out of state to Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee. Detectives also spent a lot of time in southwest Ohio, Grey said.
More than 250 people have been interviewed since the case started and more than 300 interviews have been conducted, which included some people interviewed multiple times. More than 200 pieces of evidence have been submitted to the state crime lab for analysis, he said.
“We have ruled out several people as possible suspects,” Grey said.