VAN WERT — No charges will be filed in the case involving several becoming sick from lighter fluid at a barbecue at the Vantage Career Center.
And the student at the center of the investigation will be back in school Tuesday.
Van Wert Police Department Chief Joel Hammond announced Thursday that the department completed its investigation and forwarded information to the Van Wert County Prosecutor’s Office.
“Based on the information obtained, it has been decided no criminal charges will be pursued at this time,” he said of the Nov. 19 incident at the school, 818 N. Franklin St.
Four people became ill and were taken by ambulance to Van Wert County Hospital, according to a release from the Police Department. All were treated, then released.
As a precaution, 16 other students were taken by school staff to the hospital, where they were also treated, then released.
Hammond would not comment further on specifics of the incident.
Vantage Superintendent Staci Kaufman confirmed reports that a teacher and students were taken to the hospital for symptoms from the possible ingestion of lighter fluid. The incident happened during a barbecue outside the welding lab.
Kaufman would not comment any further.
The school issued the student a 10-day suspension. If criminal charges had been filed, Kaufman said an intent to expel would have followed.