SIDNEY — Firefighters rescued three dogs from a burning house Saturday night after a woman escaped from the home.
Firefighters were dispatched to 615 Michigan St. at 9:21 p.m. on a report of a structure fire with possible victims, according to Cameron Haller, assistant chief of the Sidney Department of Fire and Emergency Services.
On arrival, firefighters found there was a fire in the kitchen of the single-family home. The blaze was confined to the kitchen. Firefighters entered the structure for search and fire-attack operations.
The occupant, Donna Elsass, told firefighters that she was first alerted to the fire by sounds coming from downstairs. She was able to escape on her own. Elsass was not injured and was outside the structure when firefighters arrived.
The home did not have a working smoke detector.
Firefighters rescued three pet dogs. Two of the dogs were revived with oxygen and recovered at the scene. Deputy Cami Frey, Shelby County dog warden, responded to the scene and assisted with the dogs, and made additional care recommendations to the family.
The kitchen sustained heavy damage from the fire. Estimated dollar loss to the structure and contents was about $25,000. Investigators said the fire started in the area of the kitchen stovetop and appeared to be accidental. The home is owned by Gary and Donna Elsass.
Sidney House Fire