Thursday, July 10, 2014





Mercer Sheriff confident year-old double homicide will be solved


August 23. 2013 6:44AM
Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle


CELINA — Sheriff Jeff Grey made it sound Thursday as if investigators may be closing in on suspects in the double murder of a man and his daughter one year ago.


Grey, however, stopped short of saying he had strong suspects.


“We have some individuals I’m not comfortable calling suspects but we are very curious about them, at this point. We are very serious about putting a lot of effort into them,” Grey said.


Grey held the press conference to update the public but refused to answer questions on the eve of the one-year anniversary of the murders of Robert and Colleen Grube. Both were found dead inside Robert Grube’s home on Burrville Road, three miles east of Fort Recovery on Nov. 30.


The 70-year-old man and his 47-year-old daughter had been bound with duct tape and shot.


The Mercer County sheriff said he hopes to solve the case soon.


“My confidence level remains very high that we will solve this case. Notice I’m saying today it’s very high as opposed to just high,” he said.


Grey cautioned, however, he said it will take some time to solve the case.


“We’re going down the right path,” he said.


Grey stood at a podium to deliver his remarks with a table next to him containing four file boxes 12-inches deep with documents, and four large ringed binders 4 inches thick. All were records from the Grube case, he said.


The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation, an arm of the state Attorney General’s Office, has assigned an investigator to the case nearly full time. Grey has a full-time detective on the case.


The investigation has led detectives out of state to Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee. Detectives also have spent a lot of time in southwest Ohio, he said.


More than 250 people have been interviewed since the case started and more than 300 interviews conducted, which included some people interviewed multiple times. More than 200 pieces of evidence have been submitted to the state crime lab for analysis, he said.


“We have ruled out several people as possible suspects,” Grey said.


Tips have slowed down but continue to trickle in. A $20,000 anonymous reward has been offered for anyone providing information that leads to the arrest and conviction of anyone responsible for the slayings.


Grey also touched on another Mercer County homicide in Rockford. He said they continue to look for Daniel C. Martin, 40, in the Nov. 8 slaying of 26-year-old Melinda Shinn. Martin remains on the run and may have fled out of state, he said.


Grey cautioned anyone who sees Martin should call police and not approach him.


“We do believe he is still armed,” Grey said.


You can comment on this story at www.limaohio.com.





Comments
comments powered by Disqus
Poll


Social Media/RSS
LimaOhio.com on Facebook
LimaOhio.com on Twitter
LimaOhio.com on Youtube
LimaOhio.com on Google+
LimaOhio.com on Pinterest
LimaOhio.com RSS Feeds





Civitas Media
COPYRIGHT 2013 CIVITAS MEDIA. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.