New middle school won’t have to cut classrooms

Last updated: July 31. 2014 4:29PM - 145 Views
By - cwasmundt@civitasmedia.com



Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Worries about whether the future McCormick Middle School will have fewer classrooms than originally planned can be squashed.


The school board voted in a special meeting Tuesday to approve a $16,769,926 construction bid for the district’s newest school.


Superintendent John Nolan said long discussions between the state department, district officials, architects, and the contractor led to the decision to include the four classrooms that were on the chopping block.


“That was a big milestone,” he said.


The new building will have all the technology amenities he originally planned and a full playground, Nolan said.


The school would have been in good shape even without the extras but including everything just raises it up, Nolan said.


The middle school will have 27 classrooms, a media room, independent art and band rooms, and a full-sized gym.


The village planning commission approved the work earlier this month minus the four classrooms. Nolan said the approval will stand despite the changes.


Back-and-forth communication and planning has pushed the project back by five weeks.


“At the end of the day it was worth it to get a quality product,” Nolan said.


Nearly all of the building’s footers for the foundation have been installed. Nolan said he expects crews to start laying brick by Aug. 18.


The original move-in date was set for the start of the 2015-2016 school year.


Nolan said that might get pushed back to December, weather permitting.


Caitlyn Wasmundt may be reached at 440-647-3171 or on Twitter @LC_CaitW.

Comments
comments powered by Disqus


Featured Businesses


Poll



Info Minute