LIMA — The eight recipients of the 2018 Jefferson Awards for Public Service have been determined by the United Way of Greater Lima. They include Terri Beasley, Rachael and Cameron Staley, Bev Beery, Bill Roeder and Jack Rex, Lynda Best, Neil Kehler, Dave Roznowski and Deborah Zwez.
One of the eight recipients will be chosen March 27 to attend the national Jefferson Awards banquet to be held in Washington, D.C.
• Terri Beasley of Lima: Just some of Beasley’s accomplishments mentioned in her nomination papers include sponsoring families during the holidays, acting as karaoke disc jockey during fundraising events, donating clothing or fabric to those in need and offering transportation for Medicare and Medicaid clients.
• Bev Beery of Lima: Beery has spent many volunteer hours working with Family Promise through her involvement with the Trinity United Methodist Church. Beery also participates in Lima’s Kiwanis chapter, volunteers at Heartbeat of Lima and serves with Senior Citizens Services.
• Lynda Best of Bluffton: Best is a major player in the annual Bluffton Relay for Life, where she raises funds, partakes in the parade and was involved in the fight against merging Bluffton’s relay event with Lima’s.
• Earl Lhamon of Lima: Lhamon helps with Lima’s Schoonover Observatory and other organizations over the past 70 years.
• Dave Roznowski of Lima: Nominated by last year’s Jefferson Award recipient Bobbie Nevarez, Roznowski is the pastor/ founder/leader at Neighborhood Relief Ministries.
• Bill Roeder and Jack Rex of Lima: The two retirees of Ford’s Lima Engine Plant have been involved with the Ford/United Automobile Workers (UAW) Local 1219 Ramp Crew for more than two decades.
• Rachael and Cameron Staley of Columbus Grove: The Staleys began their community service in 2003 when they formed the Allen County Special Abilities Baseball League. In the last two years, the Staleys spearheaded the construction of a specialized rubberized field at UNOH for players after helping raise a few hundred thousand dollars.
• Deborah Zwez of Wapakoneta: Zwez has participated in a number of service-oriented organizations for over a decade. Some of them include the Wapakoneta Rotary, the Wapakoneta YMCA, the Wapakoneta Area Economic Development Council and the United Way of Auglaize County.
The Jefferson Awards for Public Service is sponsored by The Lima News, Your Hometown Lima Stations, the United Way of Greater Lima and Husky Energy.
Reach Josh Ellerbrock at 567-242-0398.