LIMA — Marjorie Shenk, of Lima, was sitting down watching TV and eating her lunch Wednesday afternoon when there was a knock on her door. It turned out to be a good Samaritan alerting her of smoke pouring out of the roof of her house.
“That lady stopped, she said she saw the smoke. Another lady stopped too and she said her kids thought it was just my fireplace. I said my fireplace is gas and it wasn’t burning. I appreciate people watching out,” said Shenk.
American Township Fire Department was called out at 12:08 p.m. to a report of smoke and fire coming from the roof of a house located at 2785 Hummingbird St., Lima. The house sits on the corner of Hummingbird and Sycamore in Elida’s Laurel Oaks subdivision.
“When we got there we had a little bit of smoke, no fire showing. I had one occupant that met me in the road. She said she thought her bathroom fan was on fire. What we determined is the exhaust fan in the bathroom malfunctioned and it caused an attic fire,” said American Township Fire Department Battalion Chief Brian Helmig.
The damage to the house is reported to be in the vicinity of $100,000. According to the Allen County Auditor website, the house is valued at $137,500.
“The fire did burn through some structural members, the roof tresses. It was contained to the bathroom area and the attic above the bathroom. So not a lot of water damage, a little bit of smoke damage to the remainder of the house, but the majority was in the attic and the bathroom,” said Helmig. “We did call the Red Cross for her. She did get in contact with a contractor to come in and help isolate the electrical issues. She probably won’t be able to stay there tonight, but within the next day or so she should be able to go back home.”
Shenk had a good outlook on the situation.
“Nobody wants fire, but it could be a lot worse,” said Shenk.
American Township Fire Department cleared the scene at 2:25 p.m.
Reach Merri Hanjora at 567-242-0511.