LIMA — The jury trial for a Cincinnati man charged with first-degree felony counts of kidnapping and aggravated burglary has been pushed back until April to allow the defense additional time to properly prepare its case.
Dylan Hartwell, 25, appeared on Tuesday before Judge David Cheney in Allen County Common Pleas Court and waived his constitutional right to a speedy trial during a brief hearing. Defense attorney Bill Kluge said the original February trial date would not him to adequately assemble a case.
Hartwell was indicted earlier this month by a grand jury on charges of kidnapping with a firearm specification; two counts of aggravated robbery with firearm specifications; and one count of felonious assault with a firearm specification. All charges are felonies of the first degree. Hartwell has pleaded not guilty to all counts.
According to court documents, Hartwell on Oct. 21, 2016, forced his way into the home of Travis Burkholder at 218 W. Michigan Ave. in Lima. Burkholder told police that he and his father, Keith, were forced into the basement of the home by the intruder, who was wearing a bandana that partially covered his face.
Keith Burkholder collaborated his son’s story, telling police a black male entered the residence and hit him in the head with a pistol before forcing the pair to the basement. While in the basement, according to both men, Hartwell fired the pistol numerous times at Travis Burkholder, striking him with three of the gunshots. Burkholder was transported to Mercy Health-St. Rita’s with multiple gunshot wounds.
Hartwell’s photo was picked out of a five-man police lineup by the Burkholder men less than a week after the shooting, according to court documents.
Hartwell was arrested last month, more than a year after the alleged incident, when police reportedly received a tip regarding his whereabouts.
Reach J Swygart at 567-242-0464.